Robotics - Day 10
Critical Writing Robotics – Day 10
As you learned in this module, science fiction writer Isaac Asimov wrote theThree Laws of Robotics that he and others believe should govern the ethical use of robotics. These laws were introduced around 1942. Robotics and robots have evolved into some very complicated and capable devices since 1942. One such new technological use of robotics are unmanned drone aircraft. The drones are being used to collect information about enemies during time of war. Some argue that using drone aircraft that could harm humans is unethical and a violation of the Three Laws of Robotics. Others would argue that because the drones can ultimately save the lives of Americans, the use of drones is ethical.
In two paragraphs, answer the following questions.
• Does the use of robotics technology in unmanned drone aircraft during wartime violate the Three Laws of Robotics?
• Is this application of technology ethical, in your opinion? Explain and defend.
• Does the fact that this use of robotics technology can save lives, make it okay?
• Organization: Write an introduction in which you clearly state your position (your claim) about the issue, sequence all the information logically, and finish with a strong conclusion statement that supports your side of the argument.
• Support: Provide support for your claim using accurate facts and evidence, and acknowledge the other side of the issue, the counterclaim.
• Word choice: Select words and phrases that create relationships between the claim(s), counterclaim and evidence.
• Mechanics: Use correct grammar, spelling, and punctuation.