What do school psychologists do in our schools?
The role of a school psychologist sometimes varies from school district to school district. In the Hillsboro-Deering School District, school psychologists offer a range of services and support.
- Evaluations of students' cognitive, intellectual, social-emotional, behavioral and adaptive functioning
- Short-term counseling to help address crisis situations, stabilize functioning, and teach needed social-behavioral skills
- Consultation with faculty, staff, parents and caregivers to support the needs of individual students and their families
- Training and education for faculty and staff to enhance knowledge and skills in specific areas
- Collaboration with community providers of medical, mental health and social services to support the needs of students and their families